Professor of Tourism Sciences and Spatial Theories
Professor at Karlshochschule since
- September 1, 2012
Main Focus of Teaching
- Current Issues in Tourism
- Culture, Markets and Consumption
- Touring Consumption
- Critical Perspectives on Tourism
- Regional Studies
Research fields and interests
- Contemporary theories of tourism mobilities
- Tourism as everyday practice
- Performance and spatial theories
- Tourism geographies, embodiment and intimacies
- Interdisciplinary approaches in visual and reflexive methodologies
Academic Education and Training
- PhD Tourism Studies, Centre for Tourism and Cultural Change, Leeds Metropolitan University/UK
- MA Social Sciences in Anthropology, Universiteit van Amsterdam/the Netherlands
- BA Communication Studies and Leisure, Tourism and Society Studies, University of Calgary/Canada
Educational and research projects
- Emerald Forest Online Business Simulation (since 2013)
- ERASMUS PLUS Partner Acquisition Trip, July 2016, with Università degli Studi di Bergamo/Italy
- ERASMUS PLUS: Emerald Forest Hotel Business Simulation (coach), March 2015, with Tallinna Tehnikaülikool/Estonia
- ERASMUS Mobilities Program STA 2014 Bournemouth University/UK
- ERASMUS Teaching Mobility IP, Vidzemes 2013 Augstkola/Latvia
- ERASMUS Mobilities Program STA 2013, Universidade de Coruña/Spain
- Bisa Research Grant 2011-2012, Keimyung University/South Korea
- Lee Kong Chian Research Fellowship 2008-2009, National Library/Singapore
- Assistant Professor of Sociology, College of Social Sciences, Keimyung University/South Korea
- Lecturer, School of Interdisciplinary Studies, Ngee Ann Polytechnic/Singapore
- Curriculum Writer and Teacher Trainer, The Ark Learning Centre/Singapore
Awards and Grants
- Andre Jordan Best Paper Award, 3rd (2013) by Advances in Tourism Marketing Conference/Portugal.
- Jon Rieger Award in Visual Sociology (2012) by International Visual Sociology Association
- Young Leisure Scholar Award (2011) by International Sociological Association
- Best Paper Award (2009) by International Journal of Culture, Tourism and Hospitality Research
- Most Remarkable Theses written in ISHSS History: 1997-2008 by International School for Humanities and Social Science, Universiteit van Amsterdam/the Netherlands
- Academic Award in Teaching 2004/2005, Ngee Ann Polytechnic/Singapore
- Roy Fleshman Award (1996) by University of Calgary/Canada
- Wee, D. (forthcoming 2017): Growing me growing you: Collaborative student fieldwork in tourism research. In: Andrews, H., Dixon, L. and Jimura, T. (eds.): Routledge Advances in Anthropology Series: Tourism Ethnographies.
- Wee, D. (forthcoming 2017): Mediating spaces of tourism in the German Village of South Korea. In: Kim, S.K. and Reijnders, S. (eds.): Film Tourism in Asia, Wiesbaden: Springer.
- Wee, D. and Koens, K. (forthcoming 2016): 50 Shades of Hospitality: Exploring 'love motels' in South Korea. In Lashley, C. et al. (eds.): A Handbook of Hospitality Studies: Perspectives and Cases, London and New York: Routledge.
- Sonnenburg, S. and Wee, D. (2016): An Introduction to Touring Consumption. In: Journal of Consumer Culture, 16(2), 323-333.
- Sonnenburg, S. and Wee, D. (2015): Touring Consumption: Itineraries on the move. In: Sonnenburg, S. and Wee, D. (eds.): Touring Consumption. Wiesbaden: Springer VS, 9-20.
- Wee, D. (2014): Performing national identities in spaces of tourism. In: Journal of Tourism and Development, 21/22(1), 13-22.
- Wee, D. (2014): Hospitality on a platter, in retrospect. In: Hospitality & Society, 4(1) 93-98.
- Wee, D. (2012): Touring Heritage, Performing Home: Cultural Encounters in Singapore. In Smith, L., Waterton, E. and Watson, S. (eds.): The Cultural Moment in Tourism: New perspectives on performance and engagement. London and New York: Routledge, 79-96.
- Wee, D. (2010): In touch with My Routes: Becoming a Tourist in Singapore. In: Biblioasia, 5(4), 10-14.
- Wee, D. (2010): Carrying Gazes: Towards a reflexive visual Anthropology. In: Enhancing Learning in the Social Sciences, 3(2), 12.
- Wee, D. (2009): Singapore language enhancer: identity included. In: Language and Intercultural Communication, 9(1), 15-23.
- Wee, D. (2009): Missing an Umbrella (Einen Regenschirm vermissen). In: Annuß, E. (ed.): Stagings Made in Namibia: Postkoloniale Fotografie. Berlin: b_books Verlag, 239-241.
- Wee, D. (2015): Walking out of class: Tourism and experiential learning. IMIC Conference on Experiential Tourism, Santorini/Greece.
- Wee, D. (2015): The Grand Mobility: Tourism and Embodiment in Education. EASA Anthromob, "Grounding (im)mobility: Embodiment, ephemera, ecologies". Institute of Social Sciences, Universidade de Lisboa/Portugal.
- Wee, D. (2014): Home away at home: Tourism Narratives of a German Village in South Korea. ISA World Congress of Sociology, Yokohama/Japan.
- Wee, D. (2014): Performing national identities in spaces of tourism. INVTUR Conference, Tourism: "When we travel we fabricate new societies". Universidade de Aveiro in Aveiro/Portugal.
- Wee, D. (2013): Singapore in Venice: Touring spaces at home, 5th Advances in Tourism Marketing (ATMC) Conference, "Marketing Space and Place: Shifting Tourist Flows", Vilamoura/Portugal.
- Wee, D. (2013): Looking back at the Tourist, as critical practice, Tourism Critical Practice, Critical Tourism Studies Group and University of Surrey, Sarajevo/Bosnia.
- Wee, D. (2012): An "I" for an Eye: Looking back at visual research. Centre for Independent Social Research, Complex Gaze at a Complex World, European University at St. Petersburg/Russia.
- Wee, D. (2011): Reversing Gazes, Performing Identities, Korean Sociological Association Conference, Yonsei University/South Korea.
- Wee, D. (2011): Touring Home, Performing Identity: Leisure Spaces in Singapore, International Sociological Association RC-13, Mapping Leisure Across Borders, University of Palermo/Italy.
- Wee, D. (2009): Becoming tourist, becoming local: performing place and identity in Singapore, Cities as Creative Spaces for Cultural Tourism Conference, Boğaziçi Üniversitesi, Istanbul/Turkey.
- Wee, D. (2009): How to carry a camera like a tourist, Photocamp, Exposure Leeds, National Media Museum, Bradford/UK.
- Wee, D. (2008): Performing the Sacred Toilet, Association of Cultural Studies Crossroads Conference, University of West Indies, Kingston/Jamaica.
- Wee, D. and Calice, J. (2008): Polluting Bodies, Experiencing Space, Body Conference, Cardiff University/UK.
- Wee, D. (2007): Singaporean Language Enhancer: Identity Included, International Association for Languages and Intercultural Communication, Regions and Identities Conference, Györ/Hungary.