Master's Program – Application & Admission
We believe in real equality of everyone! No matter where you are from or what you have done we treat each and every applicant the same. No exceptions!
And we believe in people rather than numbers. Our quality standards are high, but there is no "Numerus Clausus" and we do not ask for a GMAT. We are looking for determined, active and open-minded characters. For people who want to make a change!
Accordingly, the admission process is designed to get as detailed a picture of you as possible:
Step 1 is your formal application where we take into consideration all that you have done up until now. Your Bachelor grades, your work experience, your social engagement, your motivation for the Karls and so on.
Step 2: Once these assessments have shown that you are a fit on paper we invite you to an individual 30-minute Admission Colloquium in English at our site in Karlsruhe or via Skype.
The colloquium is a hopefully inspiring conversation between you and members of the Karls team; sprinkled with little tasks along the way. This is a means of getting to know you better as a person and for you to get to know us, too.
And we won't keep you hanging in the balance very long either. Shortly after the colloquium we will give you qualitative feedback and, of course, let you know if you are accepted to join the Karls.
Elisabeth Vielhaber, Management (M.A.)
"The Master's at Karls is an open space for everyone who wishes to try something new. There are a lot of things going on in the classrooms, but also in-between and beyond. It's truly impressive!"
Eligibility and Educational background
You are eligible to apply for the program if you have completed
- a 3-year (or more) degree program in business administration or economics at a university or a university of applied sciences or a university of cooperative education (accredited undergraduate studies) or
- a 3-year (or more) degree program in a related field of study at a university or a university of applied sciences or a university of cooperative education (accredited undergraduate studies).
A related field of study can be virtually anything from legal, social and cultural studies, to the humanities, linguistics or geography, psychology or philosophy, to even technological subjects and natural sciences.
However, you need to have gained certified experience in relevant management topics in your prior studies worth at least 30 ECTS (credit points). We also accredit for corresponding practical experience in the framework of an equivalency assessment.
Please note: If you haven't gained sufficient experience through either of those means you can still clear this hurdle by joining our PreMaster program in the fall term! Please find further information here.
English Language Proficiency
As the Master's programs are fully taught in English we require proof that you have the necessary English language proficiency. For that we accept the following certificates:
- a C1 or higher ranking according to the Common European Framework for Languages
- an IELTS score of 6.5 or higher
- a TOEFL iBT score of 100 points or higher
Other certificates can be accepted upon consultation with our Student Admissions Service.
Please note: Due to the current pandemic situation the and its logistic challenges we temporarily accept the IELTS indicator test as a valid proof of language proficiency; this test can be done online from anywhere in the world: https://www.ieltsindicator.com/
Only English native speakers are exempt from this requirement! Having studied or worked in English before does not suffice.
Nur Bayraktepe, Management (M.A.)
"Studying the Master Management at the Karls is a unique opportunity to expand your horizon and to unveil your own potential in a system where your ideas are always taken seriously and supported."
Application deadlines & documents
- Do you come from within the European Union?
Then your application deadline is 30 September of each year.
- Do you come from outside the European Union but you already have a standing VISA for Germany?
Then your application deadline is 15 July (possibly later by individual arrangement) of each year.
- Do you come from outside the European Union and you do not have a standing VISA for Germany, yet?
Then your application deadline is 15 July* (possibly later, depending on the visa process of your home country) of each year.
In order to guarantee a smooth and comfortable admission process, however, we recommend applying well before the deadline, as the number of available slots is limited.
Please note: For corresponding information regarding the PreMaster program please see here.
*Exceptions may apply for the countries who do not need a short-stay Germany visa:
Albania, Andorra, Australia, Brazil, Canada, El Salvador, Honduras, Iceland, Israel, Japan, Liechtenstein, Mexico, Monaco, New Zealand, Norway, South Korea, San Marino, Switzerland, USA, etc.
In concrete cases, please kindly get in touch with our Student Admissions Service.
Documents to submit
Please kindly submit the following documents in English language during the online application:
- Passport-sized photograph
- University Diploma and Final Transcript (officially certified copy)
- Abstract of Bachelor Thesis
- Proof of English language proficiency (see above)
- Letter of motivation (1 - 2 pages). More details here
- Curriculum Vitae in tabular form
- Higher education entrance qualification (e.g. High School Diploma or similar)
- Copy of your passport (if you are not a German citizen)
- Additional Certificates (e.g. about internships, extracurricular activities, social engagements)
Important: Your application will only be processed if it is complete!
If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact our Student Admissions Service.