Master's degree Management: Application & Admission
We believe in real equality of everyone! No matter where you are from or what you have done we treat each and every applicant the same. No exceptions!
And we believe in people rather than numbers. Our quality standards are high, but there is no "Numerus Clausus" and we do not ask for a GMAT. We are looking for determined, active and open-minded characters. For people who want to make a change!
Accordingly, the admission process is designed to get as detailed a picture of you as possible:
Step 1 is your formal application where we take into consideration all that you have done up until now. Your Bachelor grades, your work experience, your social engagement, your motivation for the Karls and so on.
Step 2: Once these assessments have shown that you are a fit on paper we invite you to an individual 30-minute Admission Colloquium in English at our site in Karlsruhe or via Skype.
The colloquium is a hopefully inspiring conversation between you and members of the Karls team; sprinkled with little tasks along the way. This is a means of getting to know you better as a person and for you to get to know us, too.
And we won't keep you hanging in the balance very long either. Shortly after the colloquium we will give you qualitative feedback and, of course, let you know if you are accepted to join the Karls.
Elisabeth Vielhaber, Management (M.A.)
"The Master's at Karls is an open space for everyone who wishes to try something new. There are a lot of things going on in the classrooms, but also in-between and beyond. It's truly impressive!"
Master's degree Management: Admission requirements
Eligibility and Educational background
You are eligible to apply for the program if you have completed
- a 3-year (or more) degree program in business administration or economics at a university or a university of applied sciences or a university of cooperative education (accredited undergraduate studies) or
- a 3-year (or more) degree program in a related field of study at a university or a university of applied sciences or a university of cooperative education (accredited undergraduate studies).
A related field of study can be virtually anything from legal, social and cultural studies, to the humanities, linguistics or geography, psychology or philosophy, to even technological subjects and natural sciences.
However, you need to have gained certified experience in relevant management topics in your prior studies worth at least 30 ECTS (credit points). We also accredit for corresponding practical experience in the framework of an equivalency assessment.
Please note: If you haven't gained sufficient experience through either of those means you can still clear this hurdle by joining our PreMaster program in the fall term! Please find further information here.
English Language Proficiency
As the program is fully taught in English we require proof that you have the necessary English language proficiency. For that we accept the following certificates:
- a C1 or higher ranking according to the Common European Framework for Languages
- an IELTS score of 6.5 or higher
- a TOEFL iBT score of 100 points or higher
Other certificates can be accepted upon consultation with our Student Admissions Service.
Please note that only English native speakers are exempt from this requirement! Having studied or worked in English before does not suffice.
Nur Bayraktepe, Management (M.A.)
"Studying the Master Management at the Karls is a unique opportunity to expand your horizon and to unveil your own potential in a system where your ideas are always taken seriously and supported."
Master's degree Management: Application deadlines & documents
The official application deadline for EU students is February 1, for Non-EU students November 15 of each year. Admission is only possible for the summer semester starting in March. In order to guarantee a smooth and comfortable admission process, however, we recommend applying in good time as the number of available slots is limited.
Please note: For corresponding information regarding the PreMaster program please see here.
Documents to submit
Please kindly submit the following documents in English language during the online application:
- Passport-sized photograph
- University Diploma and Final Transcript (officially certified copy)
- Research Proposal (2-3 pages) – Description of the task
- Proof of English language proficiency (see above)
- Letter of motivation (1-2 pages)
- Curriculum Vitae in tabular form
- Higher education entrance qualification (e.g. High School Diploma or similar)
- Copy of your passport (if you are not a German citizen)
- Additional Certificates (e.g. about internships, extracurricular activities, social engagements)
Important: Your application will only be processed if it is complete!
If you are invited to the Admission Colloquium a processing fee of € 90 is due.
Please note: Upon application before August 15 you will not be required to pay the processing fee!
If you have any further questions please do not hesitate to contact our Student Admissions Service.