What is the PreMaster program?
The PreMaster at the Karls is a two-semester part-time preparation course in English which starts every fall semester. In the PreMaster, you will get the relevant knowledge and skills in business management, economics, scientific working and other fields which prepare and qualify you for a successful start in our master's programs beginning in fall term of every year.
Once you have successfully completed the PreMaster, you will receive an official PreMaster certificate and a corresponding Transcript of Records.
So, on the one hand, the PreMaster helps you with fulfilling the formal requirements for entering our master's programs. On the other hand, it gives you even more.
The PreMaster starts every fall semester.
For the PreMaster, there are two options available:
- You study the PreMaster prior to the M.A. program – your standard study period is 3 years (1 year PreMaster studies + 2 years M.A. studies),
- You study the PreMaster in parallel to the 1. year of the M.A. program – your standard study period is 2 years
(1. year: PreMaster and semester 1 & 2 of the M.A., 2. year: semesters 3 & 4 of the M.A.).
All at a glance
EU citizens: September 1, non-EU citizens: July 15
Study program start
395 € / month
Is the PreMaster a suitable program for you?
The PreMaster is for students who wish to study in the Master in Management or Master in Social TransFormation – Politics, Philosophy & Economics at the Karls, and
- have not gained the necessary 30 ECTS in Management, Business, or Economics (Master in Management) or in Politics, Philosophy or Economics (Master in Social Transformation) during their bachelor’s studies (in which case the PreMaster is a mandatory requirement), and/or
- have studied enough credits in relevant fields during their bachelor’s studies but would like to refresh their memory before they start into our M.A. program, and/or
- would like to acquaint themselves with the style of teaching and learning at the Karls before their master's to ensure a smooth transitioning into the program, and/or
- would like to settle in Karlsruhe, build a social network, possibly find a job to accompany them throughout their graduate studies, and make friends at the Karls early on.
Elena Schmidt, BBA (Germany), voluntary PreMaster
"This program provides a unique opportunity to refresh my knowledge and get familiar with the Karls early on. The positive experiences I've made in the PreMaster confirm my decision to do my Master's here 100%!"
Admission to the PreMaster is only possible in combination with admission to our master's degree programs Master in Management or Master in Social TransFormation – Politics, Philosophy & Economics. Please find all relevant information here.
In the online application you will find a tick box to let us know that you are interested in the PreMaster program, too.
If you are not sure whether the PreMaster is a mandatory requirement for your eligibility to the master's program - do not worry! In this case, we will get in touch with you about it after we have reviewed your application.
PreMaster application deadline:
- Do you come from within the European Union?
Then your application deadline is September 1 of each year.
- Do you come from outside the European Union, but you already have a standing visa for Germany?
Then your application deadline is July 15 (possibly later by individual arrangement) of each year.
- Do you come from outside the European Union, and you do not have a standing visa for Germany yet?
Then your application deadline is July 15* (possibly later, depending on the visa process of your home country) of each year.
To guarantee a smooth and comfortable admission process, we recommend applying in good time as the number of available slots is limited.
Please note: For corresponding information regarding the master's program please see here.
*Exceptions may apply for the following countries:
Andorra, Australia, Brazil, Canada, El Salvador, Honduras, Iceland, Israel, Japan, Liechtenstein, Mexico, Monaco, New Zealand, Norway, South Korea, San Marino, Switzerland, and the USA.
Whenever you are in doubt, please get in touch with our Student Admissions Service.
Silvia Vásquez, Bachelor in Law (Colombia), PreMaster
"The PreMaster, to me, means the chance to explore a field and a diversity I would otherwise not have been able to explore. It makes me appreciate and enjoy the challenge of studying abroad even more. This has definitely been the right choice for me."
The tuition for the PreMaster program amounts to € 395.- per month.
The specific payments result from your option of choice:
- PreMaster prior to the M.A. (standard study period: 3 years): € 395 per month for the PreMaster, € 790 per month for the M.A. program.
- PreMaster in parallel to the M.A. (standard study period: 2 years): € 1,185 per month in the first year of studies,
€ 790 per month in the second year.
The total costs for the studies of the PreMaster and the M.A. amount to € 23,700.
Additionally, all students pay a contribution to the student union of Karlsruhe of currently € 67,70 per semester.