Social TransFormation Summit: September 4 - 5, 2021
As a non-profit university where the values of interculturality, inclusion and diversity as well as sustainability and global justice are particularly upheld, we would like to make the topic of social-ecological transformation more visible.
In this context, we will host a Social TransFormation Summit on September 4 - 5, 2021 in cooperation with organizations, networks, student initiatives and activists under the umbrella theme "social-ecological transformation". We want to bring together young people who are actively contributing to a better world to discuss topics around social-ecological transformation, to connect various civil society organizations as well as to brainstorm approaches and solutions to some of the most pressing issues young Changemakers are facing.
September 4, 2021: Workshops
--- Registration deadline for the workshops on September 1, 2021 ---
On Saturday, September 4, a series of different workshops will take place at Karlshochschule in Karlsruhe and simultaneously online. Topics range from interculturality, global justice, feminism, diversity and inclusion to climate justice and alternative economic practices. The number of participants on site is limited due to Covid, so register early for the following program!
09:30 am – 10:30 am CET ǀ Registration and Welcome
10:30 am – 12:00 am CET ǀ Parallel Workshop Session 1
- Feminism: What´s work got to do with it? – Lilian Chamai Bose, AFS Interkulturelle Begegnungen e.V. (in English, on site)
- Embracing Vulnerability through Ubuntu Philosophy – Robinah Nampanga, Hakuna Matata (in English, on site)
- Participatory Approaches to Decision-Marking & sustainable consumption – Omony Andrew Komakech, Makerere University (in English, online)
- Seeing Goodness in Others and Ourselves – Arif Iqball, Kansai Gaidai University (in English, online)
- Transformative Finanzwirtschaft – Christian Fahrbach, Leuphana Universität Lüneburg (in German, on site)
12:00 am – 01:00 pm CET ǀ Lunch Break
01:00 pm – 02:30 pm CET ǀ Parallel Workshop Session 2
- Part 1 of 2*: Feminism – Personal is political – Prof. Ella Roininen, Karlshochschule (in English, on site)
- Part 1 of 2*: Future imagination workshop: peace(s) and sustainable degrowth – Marisol Bock, DEEP Network (in English, on site)
- Pathways for Decolonizing Academia – Jimmy Spire Ssentongo, Makerere University (in English, online)
*These workshops are 2-part, please select the appropriate 2nd part in Session 3 each. Thank you very much.
02:30 pm – 02:45 pm CET ǀ Short Break
02:45 pm – 04:15 pm CET ǀ Parallel Workshop Session 3
- Part 2 of 2*: Feminism – Personal is political – Prof. Ella Roininen, Karlshochschule (in English, on site)
- Part 2 of 2*: Future imagination workshop: peace(s) and sustainable degrowth – Marisol Bock, DEEP Network (in English, on site)
- Group dynamics and power: How can we make inclusive decisions? – Lilian Chamai Bose, AFS Interkulturelle Begegnungen e.V. (in English, online)
*These workshops are 2-part, please select the appropriate 1st part in Session 2. Thank you very much.
04:15 pm – 05:00 pm CET ǀ Coffee, Tea & Cake
05:00 pm – 06:30 pm CET ǀ Parallel Workshop Session 4
- Collaborative Session: What is the role of universities in societal transformation? How can they support civil society organizations? – Karlshochschule (in English/German, on site)
- Climate justice and colonial continuity – Sylvia Holzhäuer-Ruprecht, SIMAMA - STEH AUF e.V. (in English, on site)
- Behind the Scenes of a Civil Society Organization – Jenny Mushegera, DEAB, #CongoExcellence (in English, online)
- The Future of Europe: Ein Europa für Europäer:Innen oder die Welt – wo endet unsere Solidarität? – Ninja Hahn, Junge Europäische Föderalisten (in German, on site)
- Sozial gerechte CO2-Bepreisung mit dem ECO – SaveClimate.Earth e.V. (in German, online)
06:30 pm – 08:00 pm CET ǀ Dinner
08:00 pm – 10:00 pm CET ǀ Evening Program
September 5, 2021: Fair of common-good-oriented organizations on Stephansplatz in Karlsruhe
On Sunday, September 5 from 12 pm CET onwards, Karlshochschule together with Gemeinwohl-Ökonomie e.V. (Economy for the Common Good) Karlsruhe, Jusos Karlsruhe and with the support of the Office for Economic Development of the city of Karlsruhe organizes a fair for the common good as part of the Social Transformation Summit. At the fair, companies, NGOs, associations and various parties that work for a new economic orientation, which serves the common good and respects planetary boundaries, will present themselves. The fair offers an opportunity to exchange ideas while highlighting that a broad section of society is ready for change.
One highlight will be a panel discussion on the topic “Which kind of economy does a socio-ecological transformation need and how can it be achieved on a municipal level?“ (in German).
The event will include music by the singer&songwriter Lukas Luft.
Stage Program (subject to change at short notice)
12:00 am CET ǀ Eröffnung mit Musik
12:30 pm CET ǀ Micha Lokalgruppe
12:45 pm CET ǀ Foodsharing Karlsruhe
13:00 pm CET ǀ GWÖ
13:15 pm CET ǀ Unverpackt Food Coop
13:30 pm CET ǀ Radler Martin
13:45 pm CET ǀ Büro Schwarze Erde
14:00 pm CET ǀ Überraschungs-Aktion Jusos
14:30 pm CET ǀ Podiumsdiskussion
16:15 pm CET ǀ Attac (Georg Rammer)
16:25 pm CET ǀ Impact HUB
17:15 pm CET ǀ Ausklang mit Musik
List of participating Organizations
- Behinderten Werkstätten
- Büro Schwarze Erde
- Faire Ware
- Food Coop KA
- Foodsharing KA
- Glow Karlsruhe e. V.
- GWÖ KA
- Impact Hub
- KINE e.V.
- Klimaliste Karlsruhe
- leih.lokal (Bürgerstiftung)
- Parents for Future
- PHUK Hochschulgruppe
- Quartier Zukunft
- Radler Martin
- SIMAMA - STEH AUF e.V., Karlsruhe
- Slow Food
- SoLaWi Karotte
- Tischlein-Deck-Dich e.V.
- Unverpackt (Hbf)
- Unverpackt Food-Coop Oststadt
- Weltladen Karlsruhe/Aktion Eine Welt e.V.