Application procedure for exchange students
Exchange students attend Karlshochschule International University within the framework of official exchange agreements for one semester or a full year as non-degree seeking students. They are integrated in the University's regular program and, in addition, are offered German language courses especially designed for international students. Depending on their language and intercultural skills, they also have the option of taking part in a company project or case study project.
The exchange applications are handled via the exchange coordinator at the home institution. If you wish to come to Karlshochschule as an exchange student, please contact your home university coordinator first and ask him or her to nominate you per email to our International Office.
The nomination should include the following information:
- last name, first name
- gender (male/female)
- period of stay (fall semester, spring semester or both)
- student's email address.
After you have been formally nominated for a place at Karlshochschule International University by the coordinator of your home university, we will send you information about our courses and ask you to prepare your application documents.
All documents should be uploaded together with your Online application as an exchange or visiting student at http://application.karlshochschule.de/en/. Please note that the original documents are not required!
A complete exchange application consists of the following documents:
- Application form for exchange students
- Official university transcript of records
Please ask your home university to provide an official transcript of records, showing all the courses you have taken with their grades. The transcript must be in English, German, French or Spanish and must be issued on official paper, with the institutional seal.
- Proof of English language proficiency (not applicable for native speakers)
To fulfill our English language requirements, we can accept one of the following documents:
- proof of a level B2 or above according to the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages or
- IELTS of 6.0 or above or
- Internet-based TOEFL score of at least 80 points
- Preliminary course selection form. We will provide a form in which you can select your preferred courses with alternatives.
In addition to our regular semester program, we will offer an intensive German course for beginners in August/September and February, before the official start of the semester. The course covers the A1.1 level according to the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFR), with four weeks of teaching and examinations. Students can earn 6 ECTS credits. The costs will be waived if the course is recognized for credit.
- Curriculum vitae(résumé) in English
- Passport sized photograph (jpg format) (will be used for your student ID card)
- Copy of passport
- Proof of health insurance in Germany (health insurance policy documents in English or German) or application for German health insurance. Students from the EU, Iceland, Lichtenstein, Norway and Switzerland need to present a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC). You have the option of purchasing German insurance as part of the orientation program, or you can purchase one in their home country if it is comparable to a German health insurance, i.e. has unlimited coverage. Policies with limited coverage such as travel insurances cannot be accepted, whether or not the requirements for visa might be lower.
Once your application has been processed and you have passed the English test,you will receive your letter of acceptance.
Your Contact Person
As a student in Karlsruhe, you should budget your living costs at a minimum of € 650 - € 800 per month – including costs for rent of an apartment or room.
During the Spring Semester 2019, exchange students spent on average 350 - 450 Euro per month on rent for a furnished room in a shared apartment. It will be very hard to find a room that costs less than 250 Euro per month, rent can even go up to 500 Euro per month depending on size, furnishing and location.